The TWILCD 40x2/40x4/RGB board is an alternative to our TWILCD board especially designed for displays with 2x8 header,
2x9 header (popular for 40x4 character displays) or 1x18 header displays (RGB LCD).
It has the same easy to use controller as the standard version, and is controlled by using the TWI (I2C compatible) protocol.
It is super-easy to control with any microcontroller that supports the
TWI protocol. Libraries for Arduino and avr-gcc are available on
The library is compatible with the Arduino LiquidCrystal library,
so any sketch you have that uses a standard LCD display can be converted
to use the TWILCD with with only one single line of code change.
Only four wires are required for operation, one for power (runs on both
3.3V and 5V), one for ground, and two for the TWI protocol.
- Available bundled with a Newhaven 2x16 RGB LCD display, or as a board only to use with a 40x2/40x4 or RGB dot matrix LCD display.
- Contrast can be set in software - no potentiometer required
- Backlight brightness can be controlled in software.
- For RGB Displays color can be controlled in software.
- Arduino library fully compatible with the LiquidCrystal library available at GitHub)
- Open Source Firmware (available at GitHub)
- Programmable TWI Bus Address
- On-board ISP header for upgrading firmware